January 5, 2010

Cleaning Out the Clutter

The past few days my mind has felt like a jumbled mess. I've had a hard time processing my thoughts on just about everything. Without getting into details, this year has been off to a rough start. The people close to us are hurting. Really hurting. I'm trying so hard to be a good friend, but I have found myself swallowed by my own hurts and fears. This isn't how I imagined 2010 beginning.

I called my dad because I always call my dad when I'm feeling "blah." I'm truly blessed to have him. Besides Todd, he's my very best friend. Is that strange? I guess I don't really care if it is. Anyway, I told him I didn't feel good about this year and he told me to stop saying that. Apparently I said the same thing in 2007 and it was one of the hardest years we have had. I let those words come out in January...my dad was in the hospital in April.

Am I saying that because I said it would be a bad year bad things happened? Of course not. What I did was set myself up to expect the worst. Would my dad have needed surgery to repair his heart no matter what I thought? Yes. Would I have faced his health issues with more hope if I had said "this is going to be the BEST year?" Probably.

So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take my dad's advice and I'll stop saying it. Yes, 2010 has been a bit tricky and it's only the 5th day of the new year. But God is good. He is already bringing healing and hope even when I think everything is headed downhill. He's pretty great that way.

So today I'm turning a new leaf. It's going to be a good year. No matter what happens, I know that the things we face will draw me closer to my Savior. Plus I get to face this year with the greatest husband in the world, the most supportive family and the best friends a girl could ask for.

Todd has been teasing me lately, saying I must have OCD because I can't stop cleaning and putting things in order. Maybe I do have a slight case of OCD, but having everything in its place helps me focus on what is important. A clean slate is always better than a big mess. It's good for the soul to be organized - whether at work, home, or just in our thoughts.

One of the things I love about the new year is the January issue of home magazines. All of them strive to get their readers organized. I love it.













Who could stay in a bad mood if their home looked like the photos above? You know I'm right. Watch Hoarders and tell me those people are happy!

My house doesn't look quite like that and probably never will, but I'm working on it. I'm currently finishing our guest bedroom that I've been working on for months. I'm excited to get a post up about it soon!

So here's to cleaning out the clutter. To looking at the year ahead with hope and anticipation of the great things God will do. To getting organized so that I can see clearly God's perfect plan. To looking at this post in 2011 and laughing at myself for being worried over nothing.

2010, bring it!

6 comments

  1. Let's clarify and tell everyone you have CDO - because that's the order the letters SHOULD be
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have a lot in common with this post. whenever i feel like things are spinning out of control i clean like a crazy person! I think it's my way of trying to gain control. I wish my closets looked like those pictures. But it's even expensive just to buy all of the organizing stuff! I spent the day throwing stuff out though and that's the best feeling for me! I think that if you keep your eyes set on Jesus then 2010 will be a great year no matter what comes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel Tara...it can be overwhelming to have a rough week right at the beginning of the new year. I'm determined to not let that dictate my entire year though, these verses, among many, have given me peace and hope as I look to the amazing things God is yet to do in 2010 <3

    "I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me form all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame."
    Psalm 34:4-5

    "Rejoice in the LORD always. I will say it again: rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The LORD is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
    Philippians 4:4-7

    You are such a gift of encouragement and support to your friends - I'm so thankful for you and the way you love others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara - it breaks my heart to hear you are hurting. At the same time, what a friend you are to grieve with those you love. Anyone in your life is so very blessed to have you. And I personally think your relationship with your dad is a very beautiful thing and one to be charished! That is very special :) - Ash

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad your dad had some good advice for you...it's true. You go girl!

    I'm thinking I should come try out your guest room some time...maybe this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to go ahead and say it - it hasn't started out the way we thought it would, but 2010 is going to be a WONDERFUL year.

    I really do believe it.

    And I'm glad I have you by my side to face - and experience - it with.

    [For the record, I was getting ready to ask you when & where you got that cute apron in the 3rd picture, because I totally thought that was your place. Just saying.]

    ReplyDelete