January 20, 2012

Imagination Library

I could write for days on why I love living in Tennessee and how I'm thrilled to be raising my little girl in the South. I secretly hope she says things like "ya'll" and you better believe we'll be teaching her "Yes Ma'am and No Sir."

One of the perks of living in Tennessee is that it's the home of Dolly Parton. No, not because we can go to Dollywood, but because of the incredible book program she has for children living in the state. In the mid 90s, Dolly created Imagination Library, a reading program that provides one book each month for children in Tennessee ages 0-5.

The vision:

In 1996, Dolly Parton launched an exciting new effort, Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, to benefit the children of her home county in East Tennessee, USA. Dolly's vision was to foster a love of reading among her county’s preschool children and their families by providing them with the gift of a specially selected book each month. By mailing high quality, age-appropriate books directly to their homes, she wanted children to be excited about books and to feel the magic that books can create. Moreover, she could insure that every child would have books, regardless of their family’s income.

Signing up was so easy. I just entered Crosbi's birth date and address. That's it!

Crosbi received her first book this month. I know I was definitely more excited than she was, but I'm sure that will change in the months and years to come. Todd and I already enjoy reading to Crosbi. We can't wait until she's picking out her favorite books and jumping on our laps to have them read to her. 

So we say thanks, Dolly! Crosbi and I are very excited to build our very own Imagination Library!


 
For more information about Dolly's Imagination Library and/or to bring the program to your state, check out her website.



3 comments

  1. That's amazing! Just one more reason I need to move back to Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! She's going to have an impressive library by the time she's 5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is one thing i'm excited about!! i didn't realize it was EVERY MONTH though! now i'm even more excited!

    ReplyDelete