April 16, 2012

The Most Important Job

Several people have asked about my new gig as an (almost) stay at home mom. "I thought you loved your job," they say. "Isn't your job the reason you moved to Nashville?"

I did and it was.

There are days when I second guess myself. I'll meet old co-workers for lunch and hear of their fun stories and trips to resorts that I would have most definitely been on and ask myself, did I really do the right thing?

I've always been career focused. I used to picture myself as a successful business woman who wore pencil skirts and high heels. I would sit at my big desk in my corner office, coffee in hand. I would grab a salad in the company's cafeteria and workout in the onsite gym before heading to my loft apartment downtown. I wasn't going to think about marriage or babies until I was thirty.

Funny, most of those things never happened. I was married at age 22. I own one pencil skirt and I hate wearing heels. My company had neither a cafeteria nor a gym. I only lived downtown for one semester in college. Now I stay home raising my little girl. But I still consider myself career focused. I just have a different career. I'm very proud of my education and my work experience, and feel that both play a big role in my new job. Honestly, staying home is much more demanding than anything I did in the music industry.

I ran across this quote from one of my new favorite mom blogs, Styleberry, that has been very encouraging:
Educated women in the home? What an odd thing to deplore! What better place to have us “end up”. . . What more important job is there than sharing the values we are learning to cherish with the next generation of adults? What more strategic place could there be for the educated woman?
Edith F. Hunter
Yes, I technically gave up my dream job, but I'm applying the skills from that job to my new one - event planning, budgeting, etc. and hopefully setting an example of a strong work ethic for my daughter. I'm glad I worked hard for my education and had a career I loved before becoming a mom. I hope Crosbi will do the same.

I traded in the boardroom for bottles and fancy trips for diapers and onesies...


But I have the cutest boss you've ever seen!




1 comment

  1. I love this! It's definitely the most wonderful (and toughest) job I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete