August 13, 2010

Randomness

I have lots to say and nothing to say at the same time. How does that happen?

I know I mentioned writing a follow-up post about community, but I'm still processing my thoughts and for now I'm keeping them to myself (and those closest to me) until I figure out how to put words to those thoughts. I will say this, God answered a lingering question for me. One I've been asking since January first of this year. It's crazy that He had me go hundreds of miles from home for me to finally figure it out, but I really think I did.

From here on, 2010 is going to be different.

Todd and I recently started living a "new" normal. Several weeks ago he changed jobs and is now self-employed. Eek! Self-employment has always scared me and I've never really been a fan, but God is blessing us in ways I couldn't have imagined. Who would have thought Todd would be busier now than when he worked for a large company? Now if I can just get over my jealousy of him staying at home, we'll be good! My mom was self-employed most of my life. She owned a successful jewelry store/repair shop for nearly 15 years. It was great to spend time with her a few weekends ago. She definitely calmed my fears and made me realize self-employment can actually be really beneficial. In fact, she just recently opened a new jewelry repair shop in North Carolina. More proof that she really is a fan of being her own boss.

Since Todd is working from home, we decided he needed a much better, faster computer. So we are now officially a Mac family! I know, we're really behind, but I'm still excited. It's just so pretty.








Now that I'm home I'm ready to start cooking again. It's been a long time since I've been creative in the kitchen. When I got back from my trip, I spent half a day catching up on all of my favorite Food Network shows. Giada made an amazing salmon recipe that I'll have to try eventually, but this weekend I think I'll stick to my trustworthy Cooking Light magazine and try the Southwest Salsa Burgers. Yum!



I'm trying to take it slow the next few days since I'm heading back out next week. I'm pretty thrilled about my upcoming trip. I'll be spending the weekend in New York / Philadelphia with Mary, one of my best friends from high school. I really can't wait!

So there's my random update. Have a great weekend!


3 comments

  1. Tara! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on community. This is something I've been chewing on for awhile as well; I take comfort knowing I'm not the only one mulling on it!

    I hope you and Todd enjoy his new adventures in self-employment. It does seem scary but exciting. I can't wait to hear what God is doing in your lives. :D

    Lastly, that burger almost made me drool on my keyboard.

    (Sorry this is the longest comment ever.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, look forward to hearing your thoughts on community. What is Todd doing for his job? Self-employment has its charms and its challenges - sounds like an exciting journey! So glad he is getting good business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of both of you. Todd's going to kill it being self-employed, I know there are so many good things in store for you both,

    and your salmon was ridonc. So Giada can just eat herself some spa-GHE-tti. ;)

    Looking forward to all the big, bold, and beautiful in store for the Stepps.

    ReplyDelete