June 15, 2010

Popovers

I baked today. It's Tuesday and I should be at work, but we had a bit of a scare last night and instead I'm home keeping a close eye on my husband. I'm making him rest today and I figured a little comfort food couldn't hurt.

When Todd picked me up from work last night he mentioned feeling jittery. Thinking it was from all of the coffee he had consumed that day, we shrugged it off and headed to dinner. Dinner was great, he felt fine, and we spent the evening laughing and catching up with close friends.

As we were leaving and saying our goodbyes, I noticed Todd was leaning by the wall with his hands on his knees. I didn't think much of it until I looked down, noticed he was pouring sweat, and heard him say he was going to pass out. Our friends loaded him in the car and we rushed to the emergency room. Thankfully he was feeling quite a bit better by the time he was sent back to see the doctor. They ruled out dehydration which was our initial thought and said instead they believe his heart may have skipped a beat. While they didn't say coffee was the culprit, my gut says the cups upon cups that he drank combined with his forgetting to eat lunch had something to do with it. How he "forgot" to eat lunch baffles me. I don't know if I have ever forgotten to eat a meal!



Today he's taking it easy. We want to make sure he doesn't feel light headed again. I also went ahead and put the espresso maker back in the cabinet. It could use a break for a few days. I'm sure his heart will appreciate it.

While Todd was resting, I slipped down to the kitchen and made us some warm, crispy popovers that I found here, via Food & Wine. We ate ours with orange marmalade. Then with peanut-butter, bananas and honey. Yum!



There is such a feeling of healing when you cook for someone. Maybe because it feels like the one thing we can do, or because it's how women have brought comfort for years, but my nurturing instincts definitely appeared as I sifted the flours and whisked the eggs.

He'll be back to normal soon. Until then, I hope he likes the popovers.

2 comments

  1. Oh my goodness! Glad he is OK! It sounds like all that coffee and no food was the culprit. Seriously, how does ANYONE forget to eat lunch? :)

    I love this that you wrote: "There is such a feeling of healing when you cook for someone." I absolutely agree and think it's wonderful how you cared for your husband by cooking him some amazing, healing meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a wonderful wife. I'm so glad you were able to stay home with Todd to make sure he rested and to take care of him. I love how you said, "Maybe because it feels like the one thing we can do." And you happen to do it quite well. I'm sure it nourished his heart and soul as well.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete